The definitive source for information on collecting screen-used Star Trek props and costumes

Star Trek Props.com The Internet's premier source for information on collecting Star Trek props and costumes, as well as coverage of all major Star Trek auctions from the famous 2006 Christie's Star Trek auction, through the It's A Wrap Star Trek auctions on eBay and the Propworx Star Trek auctions. Star Trek Props is the best source for information of collecting original, screen-used props & costumes.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Harriman Maroon

Well, finally the Harriman Maroon has surfaced, but not quite in the condition I hoped.  This had long been my Maroon of choice (If I couldn't land a Kirk).  But when it came to market, it was just Harriman's jacket.  The pants were not his, and the shirt wasn't even the right color.  I passed. 

Now, I don't think the costume was overpriced at $ 6,500.  Heck, if it was all his, I think it is a $ 8,500 costume (at least I would have gone that high on a complete Harriman), besting the previous non-principle high of $ 7,600 for the Admiral Catrwright Maroon that IAW sold.

But the problem with a "Frankenstein" costume (as my good friend Adam Schneider would call it) is that you can never say it IS Harriman's Maroon.  And that really bothers me.  If I have it on display, I would have to say "Well, the jacket is Harriman's, but the pants and shirt aren't." every time I showed it off!  Oh that sucks.

Now, that is me.  I hope the new owner gets it and loves it and enjoys it.  He should, it is still a great piece.  It just didn't do it for me, and it was really disappointing to see such a mismatched costume (not the fault of PSOL - I am sure this is the way it came).

I actually would rather have a complete background Maroon that just the Harriman jacket Maroon.  Is that weird?  Well, maybe.  Collecting Star Trek props and costumes is weird in general!  I mean we all have our quirks, and that is actually what makes this hobby kinda cool.  I mean, Anthony likes different things than Adam, than Dana than Donna and so we all support each other and love it when one another lands a great piece.

Well, just an insight inside the bizarre inner workings of my collecting mind.

Alec

No comments: